So cute little Hendrix has a routine that we stick to everyday:
Eat
Change Diaper
Awake Time
Nap Time
Eat Again
....
.....
But lately he has a REALLY hard time falling asleep after his last feeding at night. At 10:00 I change his diaper, feed him, and pray that he falls asleep... but I haven't been so lucky lately. WHY? Once he falls asleep he gets up every 3 hours to eat and the routine continues. We have tried rocking him, the swing, not swaddling him, letting him cry for a minute, and just holding him. Usually around 11 or 12 he FINALLY gives in and falls asleep.
I just keep hoping that the bigger/older he gets, the better he will be at falling asleep and sleeping through the night. Until then, I dread the evening hours and slowly watch the clock tick, knowing I will lose my patience as soon as 10:00 hits. Oh the joys of a newborn.
Please don't think I don't love my baby, I certainly do. But I'm ready for the late nights to be over, when you're sooo tired and can't keep your eyes open and your baby is crying and you're thinking " why can't you just fall asleep?" Until then I will power through and keep praying for strength and patience (and vent to you all). =)
I love you Hendrix and will look back on all of this and laugh one day!
9 comments:
Oh Amy!! I so know how you feel! I think you're right when you say that he'll get better as he gets older. I did the same routine with Audrey as a baby and I think it helped...eventually. These first few weeks are so hard. You're not alone in feeling tired and frustrated. But it will get better!!! I don't have any sure fire advice to give you, only the reassurance that you can totally do this and it will get better! If it would help, I'll come over and you can go for a walk or a drive for a little while for a break. Please don't hesitate to call me. ♥
Thanks for letting me in on the blog amy! I have some advice.. take it or leave it. I made my kids stay awake during the day. By keeping it loud, making them wait longer to eat, changing the diaper at the end of the feeding so they wake back up. Be creative. Babies are tought to sleep during the day in your womb because of the movement. You have to change their habits. It might sound a bit like child abuse but all of my babies were good sleepers! PS he is a cute baby!
Don't get too discouraged! Every phase has an end. Although when you are in it....it drags forever! Easton for the first month month and a half would NOT go down before midnight! Most the time it was one or two. I just would sleep during the day while he did so that I didn't go insane! Good Luck!! I can't believe how big he is already. He is so cute!
Yikes! You are making me nervous. I wish I had advice for you. Good luck, and let me know what does work!
Poor Amy...I hate to say it but I think it's just begun! The only advice I can give you that I was given is to try to keep him up after 5pm- do what you have to do (I know that's tricky with a newborn!) but if he can stay awake for that time before you put him to bed maybe he'll be more tired & willing to sleep! Good luck & hang in there!
I have tried many many things. In the end i realize that my babies have all done exactly whatever they wanted at each stage in their growth. It sucks. It's frustrating. Third time around, i realize that all i can do is wait anxiously until he decides to change his own routine. -- that being said, now that Sawyer plays more, i try to skip those mini naps he used to take to see if he will sleep longer at night- seems to help {not sure if it's ME or if he is transitioning on his own will. I'd like to pretend that it's my wicked mommy skills}
Do you bath him at night? Kennedy wouldn't go to bed until she had her bath and would get fussy every night at 8 until we'd give it to her. Let me know!
babies don't sleep at night because God would have to make it too easy. ;) but it's worth it!
Everyone's given good advice...and every baby is different! :) I think you're doing a great job and just remember--he is still really new and won't fully be in a routine for a few weeks more. So just hang in there and nap when he does, and everything will work out. The advice to keep him up after 5 pm worked well for us and our babies, and the bath routine helps calm them too. It'll get better. :)
Post a Comment