Friday, August 13, 2010

Furniture transformations.

My sweet Grandma and Grandpa gave this beautiful cedar chest to me and Jordan when we got married. It has been in our bedroom, our apartment, our guest bedroom and is currently residing in our living room at our new house. It has held photo albums, blankets, clothes and now toys. I absolutely LOVE it and have been wanting to paint and re-upholster it for a long time now but could never seem to figure out what colors I wanted to do. So, I found some inspiration from a blog called, All Things Thrify. I know that teal and yellow are really in right now, so I thought I would give yellow a try. I absolutely hated it and ended up re-painting it teal blue. I then glazed over the paint with a dark brown color. This was my first "glazing experience," which seemed to go pretty well but was a little bit tricky at first. I am totally in love with the results and even painted my end table the same color to match! Here are the before and after pictures. (The pics were taken with my cell phone because I STILL can't find my camera battery charger. Sorry, they kind of suck.)
Before. (That lovely forest green did not match my orange wall AT ALL)

After. Cute huh?

And here is the table. The lighting was really bad so it's kind of hard to see the true color. They match though. I don't have a before picture of the table, but it was black.

9 comments:

Vickie said...

Those look great Amy! I love that website too, but I haven't been brave enough yet to paint anything. Good work!

Collie and Zach said...

love it aim! I love that site too. I just did my piano red. So fun!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! I can't wait to see it in person :)

Brenda said...

Amy these turned out darling. You did a wonderful job on them. What talents you have. I can't wait to see them.

Amelia said...

Good job.. projects are so fun!

Anonymous said...

well aren't you a young martha stewart! darling what you did.

kodyandsabrina said...

Good job Amy! It looks really cute!

Cody and Wendy said...

So stinkin' cute! I LOVE how they turned out! VERY impressed...excellent work with the glaze. That stuff is tricky!

The Weston's said...

I love love love it! AND I LOVE THAT WEBSITE!!!!