Sunday, November 22, 2009

Allergist


Ever wonder how they test little guys for allergies? I'll show you! We took Hendrix to the allergist on Monday because of the severe allergic reaction he had in September, hoping to find the answer to what he is allergic to.

So, here is the process. They test a whole bunch of different foods on the babies back (a controlled area) using little needles that contain that certain food. They scratch the surface of the skin with the needle and wait 15 minutes for a reaction. The nurse demonstrated this on my arm so that I could feel what Hendrix would feel. It wasn't bad at all and he didn't ever cry, just flinched everytime they scratched him. Tough little guy!


  So we waited..... And played with toys.... And waited some more.
 

And here are the results. If there is a reaction, a big hive and redness forms on the test area. Hendrix is allergic to eggs, peanuts, cashews and almonds. He has an 80% chance of growing out of his egg allergy, so we'll cross our fingers for that.

The day ended well when Aunt Wendy made us dinner and read us a story. We love Aunt Wendy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little Drix. But what a trooper, getting all those scratches and not complaining. I hope he grows out of some of those allergies just to keep life simple. But hey, if not, now everyone knows and we can make sure nothing like 'September' happens again. :)

Vickie said...

Wow, I had no idea that's how they did allergy test. Poor little guy. Hopefully this can give you guys some peace of mind for him now.

Brooke said...

Oh, those are no fun at all, I did one in high school and it nearly drove me crazy, wanting to scratch! Poor boy. I'm glad you know now what to avoid!

Cody and Wendy said...

Poor little Doodle! I can't believe what a champ he is! It's pretty cool they can test for those kinds of things so you can prevent it from happening in the future.

Rick and Danielle said...

That is amazing! Interesting process. Bless his cute lil heart!